Friday, April 6, 2012

Fridays at the Met 1

I joined a workshop on Fridays for the next 8 weeks.  The object is to copy a masterwork from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I cannot begin to describe how excited and honored I am.  To think that I have the priviledge of standing with my easel and paints in front of a mastepiece.
I chose Judith with the Head of Holofernes, painted by Massimo Stanzione(1585-1656). This picture dates from around 1640.
I am an official "copyist" at the Met; my canvas was stamped on the back, as not to be confused with the real one, and I have a permit and a locker!!
The workshop is only 3 hours.  Today I worked mostly on the charcoal drawing.  It was a pretty exhausting day, there's a lot of walking and the first day was pretty disorganized.  And of course, I got lost a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment